Governor Scott Walker today sent a letter to President Donald Trump requesting a federal disaster declaration for six northwestern Wisconsin counties that sustained flood damage in June. The request is for federal assistance to help local governments recover from the disaster in Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Clark, Douglas and Iron counties. “Federal damage assessments showed more than $13.1 million in damage to public infrastructure in northwestern Wisconsin. This is an area that is still recovering from major flooding that occurred in 2016,” said Governor Walker. “We are hopeful that officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will understand how important it is for our state and these communities to receive federal disaster assistance to help recover from this disaster.”
Beginning June 16, heavy rains fell in the region causing record flooding across portions of northwestern Wisconsin. Numerous roads and culverts were washed out and damaged.
Several area rivers set new flood records. Earlier this week, FEMA, Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Wisconsin Emergency Management conducted damage assessments across the impacted area with local officials. They viewed damaged roads, bridges a nd washed out culverts. FEMA estimated $13.1 million in debris clearance, emergency protective measures and damage to roads, bridges and other infrastructure. If approved, FEMA’s Public Assistance Program would help communities recover some of the costs incurred through responding to the floods, protecting citizens, removing debris, and repairing roads and other infrastructure. FEMA provides 75 percent of eligible costs. The State of Wisconsin and local communities impacted share the remaining 25 percent. The program is not for businesses or homeowners as the level of damage in these areas, unfortunately, does not currently meet requirements for federal relief.